By Otto Penzler
The greatest, the boldest, the main finished number of Pulp writing ever assembled.
Weighing in at over 1000 pages, containing over forty-seven tales and novels, this publication is gigantic child, larger and extra strong than a freight train—a bullet couldn’t go through it. listed here are the simplest tales and each significant author who ever seemed in celebrated Pulps like Black Mask, Dime Detective, Detective Fiction Weekly, and extra. those are the vintage stories that created the style and gave delivery to hard-hitting detectives who smoke criminals like packs of cigarettes; sultry dames whose seems to be are as deadly as a dagger to the chest; and gin-soaked hideouts the place conversations are only preludes to homicide. this is often crime fiction at its gritty best.
• 3 tales by way of Raymond Chandler, Cornell Woolrich, Erle Stanley Gardner, and Dashiell Hammett.
• entire novels from Carroll John Daly, the fellow who invented the hard-boiled detective, and Fredrick Nebel,
one of the masters of the form.
• A by no means sooner than released Dashiell Hammett story.
• each different significant pulp author of the time, together with Paul Cain, Steve Fisher, James M. Cain, Horace McCoy, and many
many extra of whom you’ve most likely by no means heard.
• 3 lethal sections–The Crimefighters, The Villains, and Dames–with 3 unstoppable introductions by means of Harlan Coben,
Harlan Ellison, and Laura Lippman
• lots of purposes for homicide, them all good.
• a child so smart–he’ll die of it.
• A soft-hearted mortgage shark’s legman learning–the tough way–never to shop for an odd blonde a hamburger.
• The uncanny “Moon guy” and his mad-money victims.